Song for the Luddites

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Aug 16 07:06:08 PDT 2002

Lord Byron, "Song for the Luddites" (December 1816)

As the Liberty lads o'er the sea Bought their freedom, and cheaply, with blood, So we, boys, we Will _die_ fighting, or _live_ free, And down with all kings but King Ludd!

When the web that we weave is complete, And the shuttle exchanged for the sword, We will fling the winding sheet O'er the despot at our feet, And dye it deep in the gore he has pour'd.

Though black as his heart its hue, Since his veins are corrupted to mud, Yet this is the dew Which the tree shall renew Of Liberty, planted by Ludd! -- Yoshie