"post-leftism"

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Fri Aug 16 09:12:26 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Chuck0 wrote:
>
> >We wouldn't be able to build new computers in a post-revolutionary
> >anarchist society. Computer production requires a highly capitalized,
> >global, command and control capitalist system.
>
> Same with most other complex industrial products, and since most
> services depend on complex industrial products, you're basically
> saying that a post-revo anarchist socieety would be neo-primitivist
> to some degree. And since cities depend on complex goods and services
> and supply chains, it means some kind of move back to the land. And
> since you couldn't support the present population with a
> pre-industrial economy it means some kind of Malthusian shrinkage.
> I'd always suspected all this, but thanks for confirming it.

Yes, I'm saying that any post-revo anarchistic society wouldn't have the capacity to create new complex industrial products. Of course, this doesn't mean that we have to stop using what already exists.

Yes, it would also entail moving back to the land, or, at least dispersal to smaller towns. Big cities are unsustainable, even in a capitalist society.

I disagree with you that this kind of move would entail any kind of Mathusian shrinkage. I've always agreed with the Food First! folks that there is enough food around to fee everybody, it's just a matter of politics and distribution. Get rid of imperialist neoliberalism and let folks around the world have their land back so they can feed themselves instead of growing food for export to Northern countries.

As for Americans, they can stop eating so much and learn how to grow their own food.

Of course, I'm arguing for a human program of revolutionary change where we all have some control over how this would play itself out. The other option would be to continue industrial society and let it fall apart violently in 20-30 years when we've ruined the planet and have to deal with more extreme weather than we are experiencing now.

I wouldn't call this neo-primitivist. I'm simply articulating what anarchists have been advocating for a long time.

<< Chuck0 >>

Personal homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/index.html Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)