Stiglitz on Russia

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Aug 16 12:10:54 PDT 2002

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Apropos of nothing, my late friend John Liscio, who spent some time
> editing Penthouse Forum, said that Isaac Asimov was at all the porn
> movie preieres in the late 1970s. Apparently he was quite the fan.

Although to be fair, in the 1970s porn had entirely a different set of social markers than it has today. It was aligned in the public mind with the sexual revolution and the left and independent films and had a short bout of mainstream respectability centered around the success of Deep Throat.

It had a similar reputation in Spain when Franco died. Almodovar supposedly started his career as a porn movie maker.

Michael