Chinese Walls

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Aug 16 14:49:01 PDT 2002

> So maybe the use of the name Chinese Wall to describe
> something that sounds impermeable but wasn't was yet
> another instance of unconscious truth-telling.

I don't think that term was ever meant to mean impermeable: it was (and is) a symbolic gesture of investment banks resolve to attempt to keep the various sides of the house separate. Not possible, of course: but at least they say they are trying, so the story goes. It's more of an attempt to make the diviing line at least visible, to be used as a guide. Ultimately, like trading on non-public information, it's something you're unlikely to see stopped except in egregious situations.

Uncle Joe used to say: Trust, but verify.

/jordan