Concord Coalition?

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Fri Aug 16 20:34:34 PDT 2002

>Marta Russell <ap888 at lafn.org> asks:
>
>> Can someone fill me in on who the Concord Coalition is?
>
>It's a "grassroots" organization founded by Pete Peterson,
>the head of an investment banking outfit, Blackstone Group,
>which I think sells a bunch of mutual funds, mostly
>municipal bonds.
>
>He was the Secty of Commerce under Reagan.

Thanks for the tip. Found his bio on the Blackstone Group, it says Nixon.

>Peterson has written several books scolding the improvidence of
>Social Security, something like "When will we grow up?" I forget
>the exact title.

Found that one too -- "Will America Grow Up Before it Grows Old?" Do you recall if Peterson writes anything about the SS disability program?

>The Concord Coalition seems to have faded in recent times. At
>least, I'm not seeing them quoted in the newsgroups.

It is back with this dynamic duo's editorial in the Washington Post and seems the mission is still the same. Hopefully I can put this to some use. marta --