"Wake-up call sounds for U.S. workers"

Nomiprins at aol.com Nomiprins at aol.com
Sat Aug 17 08:11:05 PDT 2002

In a message dated 8/17/2002 2:07:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time, mpollak at panix.com writes:

> High tech was only part of their
> revitalization. The main part of it was an amazing fiscal turn-around
> that they executed in the first half of the 90s, before the stock market
> took off . And which they showed can be pulled off without gutting the
> welfare state. So long as people are willing to pay taxes and trust the
> government to take the bulls by the horns.

Thanks for sending that article. Sweden's mid-90s model stabilized and, it seems, later shielded their economy on the downside while increasing housing and employment, in a very positive way. But, the 45,000 Ericsson job losses (and many others from the late 90's tech-led employment boom) and fact that 80% of the country owns Ericsson shares (trading at 54 cents) because Sweden force spread stock ownership are troubling. I just think this speculative building and investing (not just in Sweden) are a scary flipside to the higher taxes and socially geared government programs you mention.

Nomi -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20020817/a4e3be7d/attachment.htm>