class composition

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Aug 19 07:11:31 PDT 2002

billbartlett at dodo.com.au wrote:

> At 11:25 AM +0200 19/8/02, Tahir Wood wrote:
>
> >>Sure, but first it needs to be pointed out that an individual's class does not depend in any way on whether an that person creates value. For example, I am a dole bludger. I try to avoid creating any value. But I'm still working class.
> >
> >Tahir: I beg to differ. I am not talking about classifying individuals here so much as characterising the class,
>
> That's putting the cart before the horse. You can't classify the class if you don't know what it is made of.

Here I think Tahir is right. We simply cannot get _anywhere_ in understanding class by describing the individuals in it. Class is an extremely high level abstraction, and it must be understood abstraction (as a set of social relations) before one can even select individuals to describe.

Getting at class (or electrons, gold atoms, or men's trouser styles) by first describing "what they are made of" is an infinite procedure. It can't be done.

Carrol