"post-leftism"

Joe R. Golowka joeg at ieee.org
Mon Aug 19 13:05:35 PDT 2002

From: <billbartlett at dodo.com.au>
>Obviously few people are going to freely choose to abandon comfortable lives made possible by modern
industrial infrastructure, for a primitive life of subsistence >agriculture.

Obviously you live in a fantasy land. The vast majority of the world's population does not live comfortable lives made possible by industrialism. Most people toil from dawn to dusk and die young of easily curable diseases. Only a privledged minority gets to live in comfort. The average person would have their lives vastly improved by being allowed to live a "primitive life of subsistence agriculture" - of course that would entail the privledged minority having to give up their privledge. I'd like to think we can have the keep the benefits of industrialism - extending them to everyone - without holding a gun to someone's head. But if airplanes, etc. require putting a gun to someone's head in order to produce then let's not have airplanes. Only a small minority gets to use airplanes anyway. You are just defending your privledges. Your rant against Chuck - equating his position with "driving people out of the cities by the force of a gun" and a "new feudalism" - is barely distinguishable from a right-libertarian's ranting against anti-capitalists - equating all opposition to capitalism with Stalin's terror - which are also based on strawmen.

-- Joe R. Golowka Anarchist FAQ -- http://www.anarchyfaq.org

"If the Nuremberg laws were applied today, then every Post-War American president would have to be hanged." - Noam Chomsky