Milton the Anarchist Re: "post-leftism"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Aug 19 15:07:28 PDT 2002

Brian O. Sheppard x349393 wrote:

>So that's your answer as to whether objects (airplanes only being one
>example out of many) should be made coercively or not? "Next Utopia,
>please"?

Who's calling for coerced production of anything? My questions were: if you don't like large permanent institutions, than how can you make anything complex? Chuck0 said he didn't care about producing complex things, and I don't think he's the only person around who believes this. He also wanted to send people back to the land, which I would have to be forced to do, and I'm not sure how many people would really like to sign on to growing their own food and giving up their present commodity basket. I'd like to think, though, that large permanent institutions producing complex things could be made to work in noncoercive nonhierarchical ways. Chuck0, oddly resembling capitalist ideology, thinks that's not possible - the choice is "industrialism" (which seems to mean not merely capitalism, but industrial economies themselves, while, like a Cato guy, merging the two) or tilling.

Doug