Big Cities & Industrialization Re: "post-leftism"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Aug 19 15:49:16 PDT 2002

At 1:02 PM -0400 8/19/02, Chuck0 wrote:
>industrial society as it is presently constituted is unsustainable
>and ruining the planet

You can have a pretty big city without "industrial society as it is presently constituted." Japan already had big cities before industrialization:

***** "By the 18th century," writes Kenneth Baker, "the population of Edo had grown to one million, making it the largest city in the world, with an influence so profound that its name came to denote the culture of all Japan."

<http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smithsonian/issues98/dec98/edo.html> ***** -- Yoshie