the speed of light redux -- politics

eric dorkin eric_dorkin at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 20 08:45:34 PDT 2002

This is a political story more than a scientific story and it is a distinctly american one. The hordes of creationists have "long" argued that light has slowed down over time as a means of explaining, inter alia, the problem of how light from very distant stars can reach earth by the present date fromstars too far for such a phenomenon to occur using a constant "c." Further, I belive they also use it to argue against the accuracy of carbon dating.

That c might be slowing does not mane (of course) that the "falt earthers" are right. Far from it. However, it will be used as a club in the creationist-evolution debate

eric

=== message truncated ===