The Blithedale Romance Re: Milton the Anarchist....

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Aug 21 17:33:34 PDT 2002

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Doug Henwood wrote:

> >Deep Springs College
>
> Is that that place where you had to tend pigs and such that recruited
> National Merit finalists aggressively in the early 1970s?

Well only a few pigs. Mainly it was a cattle ranch and we raised alfalfa. But I did milk cows by hand for six months, and slaughtered a couple, and fed chickens and stuff like that.

> I'm so glad I went to a college where I didn't have to grow my own food.

All I can say is, you'd be surprised. You couldn't have started out more effete than me. And I'm pretty effete now, a city boy through and through.

> I'm guessing you liked it Michael. Say more.

It had its ups and down. But for intellectual intensity among a bunch of first and second year undergrads, it was hard to match.

Michael