queer settlers claim Starbucks

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Thu Aug 22 03:33:06 PDT 2002

>This is a brilliant idea for political theatre. There's just one teensy
>thing wrong. It would be a lot funnier and easier to get behind if their
>slogan was Quit the Occupied Territories. Quit Palestine, sadly, is
>essentially a prancy version of Throw Them Into the Sea. Hopefully that
>was a fuzzy minded artsy fartsy oversight and they don't really mean that.
>But it's reinforced at several points. Their humorous little fable is
>about Israel, not about the territories. And Howard Schultz (owner of
>Starbucks) isn't being boycotted for using his money to support
>settlements, but for being a rich supporter of Israel. And at first sight
>that seems to be true of all other companies list at the link they give
>(www.inminds.co.uk/boycott-israel.html) The people there seem to be
>against the "zionist entity" period. And boy are they boycott crazy.
>
>That Cockburn article I had no trouble with, personally. But this
>unfortunately I do.
>
>Michael

Good point but their server seems to be down. I have a tough time envisioning gays as ethnic cleansers. I recently saw Margaret Cho do some stand up and she mentioned that she writes an advice column for a gay website or paper and some gay kid wrote to her about how his parents couldn't handle it. She said she would want her kid to be gay, because, for instance, they would never shoot up a school because it would interfere with yearbook. The Greens or the Labor party should draft John Waters for their presidential candidate, for he would make everything okay. And I would love to see him debate Shrub, if he was allowed into the debates.

Peter