Hoy Más Que Nunca, Victoria Re: war and the state (was milton, etc.)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Aug 22 19:44:11 PDT 2002

At 8:56 PM -0400 8/22/02, Gordon Fitch wrote:
>In my (perhaps fictional)
>political mythology, the State begins with the invention of
>permanent military organization, slavery, and city-building,
>that is, the establishment of class and permanent class war.
>Although the modes of class and class war have shifted many
>times over the millennia and become more complex, the fundamental
>facts of domination, oppression and exploitation have remained.
>That is why I asked, several times, who was to be coerced for
>the sake of airplanes. If the State is necessary for
>airplanes, for adequate production in general, I want to see
>the faces of the victims. When we have the actual victims
>on one hand, and the production on the other, we can see
>who balances with what.

In an unlikely event of a revolutionary crisis in the USA, our side, alas, will most likely have no or at most few airplanes, while our enemies will have many, which will be used to bomb us into submission.

During the Spanish Civil War, however, the Republicans did have an air force, though a smaller one than the Fascists'.

***** Hoy más que nunca, VICTORIA

[Today more than ever, VICTORY]. Signed: Renau, 1938. SubPro. Graf. Ultra, SA, Córcega, 220, Barna. Lithograph, 7 colors; 99 x 138 cm.

This poster was issued by the Subsecretaría de Propaganda (Undersecretariat of Propaganda), an office of the central government which was headed by the renowned architect Manuel Sánchez Arcas. It was printed in Barcelona, where the government of the Republic had moved after leaving Valencia on October 31, 1937. The poster is an homage to the Republican Air Force, which remained loyal to the government to a larger degree than other sections of the military after the rebellion of July 1936. In the image, the planes in the "V" formation display the flag of the Republic on their wings. This is different from the red-yellow-red flag of the Spanish monarchy, which was used before and after the Republic and remains the flag of Spain to this day. Because of its close relationship with the Soviet Union, which supplied it with planes and provided training throughout the war, the Republican Air Force had strong communist sympathies. The poster may reflect the need to boost morale in Barcelona, which was heavily bombarded by the Nationalist airforces in the latter stages of the war....

[You can see the poster and read the rest of the text, which explains the artist Jesus Renau's background, at <http://orpheus.ucsd.edu/speccoll/visfront/victoria.html>.] ***** -- Yoshie