Communes

Dddddd0814 at aol.com Dddddd0814 at aol.com
Sat Aug 24 18:41:20 PDT 2002

<<A lot of so-called "anarchists" of my acquaintance talk about doing away with the state and permanent institutions, seem hostile to technology, and seem to

have in mind some sort of "back-to-the-land" idea. Back-to-the-land is in any case implicit in doing away with the state and big institutions. (I don't know you, so maybe you're different. I'm afraid I just don't buy the "self-organizing" idea). Anyway, so far as "back-to-the-land" goes, I say, OK, fine. If you really want to go back to the land, there's still enough room in this society for you to do so. My sense is that for most of the people who talk like that, it's just that--a lot of talk. They want to pluck chickens or chop wood or dig post holes about as much as Doug or I do.>>

Reminds me of a guy I knew in Santa Cruz, California. He had been meeting with a group of interested people for a while in an attempt to start some sort of intentional community. When the time came to actually ante up so they could put down some money on a property, most of the people bailed. One woman reportedly said something like, "I'm much more comfortable with the dream than the reality...."

Oh well, David