Communes (Re: "post-leftism")

Alec Ramsdell aramsdell at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 24 18:55:14 PDT 2002

Brian O. Sheppard wrote:

> And a lot of the people you will see gravitating to
> communes and other
> lifestyle insitutions are health food nuts, vegans,
> faddists, nudists,
> 'bohemian' iconoclasts, avant garde poets, and the
> like. Many of these
> people call themselves "anarchists," it's true. They
> have no understanding of class analysis, and
> this is apparent in everything they do. Sam Dolgoff
> referred to "ox-cart
> anarchists" in a passage I quoted in a previous
> email. Their ideas
> generally don't stand up to a moment's scrutiny.

Gary Snyder, who mystified his sexism into a part of his "tribe" thinking, probably fits this latter picture:

<http://www.twinoaks.org/members-exmembers/members/center/Whytribe.html>

Not that it's important, but I've yet to be convinced that anyone arguing in these related threads from a simple authoritariansim vs. anti-authoritariansim/working class vs. ruling class perspective is drawing from solid class analysis.

Alec