Communes (Re: "post-leftism")

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Aug 25 06:13:26 PDT 2002

Ian Murray wrote:

> - the issue of just who feels the need to be *doing classifications* of human beings.

And this elides the issue of whether "class analysis" involves "classifications of human beings." Essentially, my argument has been that it is pointless to classify human beings (by income, lifestyle, preferences, taste, etc etc) but that it is important to have as fundamental an understanding as possible of social relations. Class tells you _nothing_ about an individual. And _no_ description of an individual can have any relevance for "class analysis."

I give up on arguing with anarchists on general understandings of the world. It is quite possible to work with particular anarchists on particular issues.

Carrol