Hitchens: Hawks in the dovecote

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Aug 25 09:39:49 PDT 2002

***** Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 10:49:43 -0700 From: Institute for Public Accuracy <instpa at pacbell.net> Subject: Iraq's Use of Chemical Weapons

Institute for Public Accuracy 915 National Press Building, Washington, D.C. 20045 (202) 347-0020 * http://www.accuracy.org * ipa at accuracy.org ___________________________________________________

Monday, August 19, 2002

Interviews Available

Iraq's Use of Chemical Weapons: A Reason for Invasion?

Bush administration officials have cited the Iraqi government's use of chemical weapons as a key reason for launching an overwhelming attack on Iraq. Condoleezza Rice said last week: "He [Saddam Hussein] has used chemical weapons against his own people and against his neighbors..." On Sunday, a front-page New York Times article reported: "A covert American program during the Reagan administration provided Iraq with critical battle planning assistance at a time when American intelligence agencies knew that Iraqi commanders would employ chemical weapons in waging the decisive battles of the Iran-Iraq war, according to senior military officers with direct knowledge of the program."

The following analysts are available for interviews:

KANI XULAM, akin at kurdistan.org, http://www.kurdistan.org Director of the American Kurdish Information Network, Xulam said today: "The Iraqi government's gassing of Kurds in the 1980s should not be used as a ploy for war now. We need to develop ways of bringing war criminals to justice across the board. A major U.S. attack on Iraq will likely unleash the use of much-talked-about weapons of mass destruction on the Kurds because northern Iraq is being used as a staging ground to topple the regime in Baghdad."... *****

***** Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 10:14:32 -0700 From: Institute for Public Accuracy <instpa at pacbell.net> Subject: Critical Voices on Iraq

Thursday, August 22, 2002

Interviews Available: Critical Voices on Iraq

* Al Qaeda Link? * Views of Iraqis * Policy Options...

ANAS SHALLAL, ashallal at cox.net A "Partner for Peace" with the Seeds of Peace program, one of the founders of the Mesopotamia Cultural Society and an independent Iraqi-American business owner in Washington, D.C., Shallal said today: "There's a lot of misunderstanding about how most Iraqis feel about the situation. I currently have relatives from Iraq visiting me. They definitely want to see some change, but they don't want it to come from outside. They want to be able to make that change themselves. The Iraqi National Congress is an unsavory group of people. They are tainted by all the CIA money they have taken and are not very well respected by the Iraqi mainstream. For any change to be credible, it has to come from within the society. Iraqis are under sanctions and this has taken a real toll, and they blame most of that on the West. The sanctions have also isolated Iraqis in terms of information and freedom of movement and that makes Saddam more powerful."... ****** -- Yoshie