Communes (Re: "post-leftism")

Alec Ramsdell aramsdell at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 25 13:07:49 PDT 2002

Brian O. Sheppard wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Aug 2002, Alec Ramsdell wrote:
>
> > > Care to school us, Alec?
> >
> > That class isn't reducible to two or three reified
> > labels? That it's a matter of determining
> specific
> > relations rather than flattening out complex
> groups
> > into overarching categories? I'm not here to
> "school"
> > anyone, figuring that would be authoritarian.
>

> Cop out of the week. Someone who just wants to
> interject with "sorry,
> you're all wrong," yet can't be bothered to explain
> why, isn't of much
> use to the discussion.

Not a cop out at all - if anything a charitable presumption of reading skills. It maintains an inflexible and distorting perspective illusion to think of "class struggle" as a struggle between two classes - working class and ruling class. Or in simple terms of oppressor and oppressed, authoritarian vs. anti-authoritarian. These theoretical frames don't fit a messy reality. A former worker who is hired for management doesn't have her consciousness instantly and magically changed from "worker" to "ruler." Very simple points.

Alec