Hitchens: Hawks in the dovecote

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Aug 26 07:44:01 PDT 2002

RangerCat67 at aol.com wrote:

>http://www.observer.co.uk/comment/story/0,6903,780386,00.html
>
>An excerpt:
>
>"What the Iraqi and Kurdish democrats would like is American aid for and
>endorsement of their own efforts to replace the regime. And what they fear is
>what I also fear - a heavy-handed US attack which results in an Iraqi puppet
>government that is designed to placate the Saudis and the Turks. That, it
>seems to me, is where a principled critique of the war-planning might begin.
>But it's depressing to see the status quo Left preferring to parrot the
>arguments of pacifist realpolitik."

He's sounding more like Michael Walzer every day. Wouldn't it be lovely if there were a good U.S. that would intervene on the side of the angels? Of course the actually existing U.S. intervenes mainly on the side of devils, but it's a nice thought anyway, isn't it?

Who the fuck is going to be the agent of this humanitarian intervention? Hitch himself?

Doug