Mass Movements and "The Left"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Aug 27 12:26:41 PDT 2002

Just an observation, but it links to many positions I have argued on this list over the years.

In the collected works of Marx, Engels, Luxemburg, Gramsci, Lenin, Mao, Ho (and probably some other major theorists of Marxism) there is endless discussion of how leftists should relate to, act as a part of, mass movements.

But in all that literature there is not one single word on the subject of how marxists should _start_ a mass movement.

And there never will be. Marxist theory cannot in any way contribute to the _initiation_ of a mass movement, and for a very fundamental reason: We simply don't know (and we never will know) how mass movements get started.

I have pointed out several times that the basic premise of all of Lenin's work is the existence of a strong "spontaneous" workers' movement. There is not a word in Lenin of how to trigger such a movement, nor is there a single word in all of Lenin which casts doubt on the existence of such a movement as a precondition for marxist theory and practice.

Carrol