The Nation: "dreary"

JCWisc at aol.com JCWisc at aol.com
Wed Aug 28 20:50:16 PDT 2002

> LA Weekly - AUG. 30 - SEPT. 5, 2002
>
> ON
> Bubble Wrap
> The Nation vs. The Weekly Standard
> by John Powers

> I feel kind of churlish in pointing
> out

I'll bet he does.

> a hit piece on Lula was called "Brazil's Nut"

Now that's what I call scintillating.

Dreary? Puritanical? Humorless? Out of touch with regular folks? Come on--that shit yet again, for about the millionth time? Right wing pundits have been painting that picture of the left for as long as I can remember. What could be more "dreary" than this guy's piece?

> Snappy and pointed, it's designed to
> compete in a world that has many magazines.

Oh, gimme a break. The Weekly Standard loses money hand over fist, while The Nation just about breaks even. By that measure, The Nation out-competes Murdoch's rag. The Market has spoken!

> "We
> regret any misinterpretation," she said, rather than openly
> apologizing or having the courage to endorse a drawing that many
> readers will find offensive.

Geez, Powers, she was just too polite to say "You are an idiot."

> the senior editors...need to talk to some folks who own guns.

Hey, I own 3 guns, and I think The Nation is swell. Pass that along to Katrina & Co., will you Doug?

Jacob Conrad