war and the state

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Thu Aug 29 11:16:58 PDT 2002

In a message dated 8/28/02 1:17:42 PM, owner-lbo-talk-digest at lists.panix.com writes:

Gordon Fitch wrote:
>Yet capitalist development in the United States has
>progressed to a point where the per capita income is many,
>many times what is necessary to sustain life -- everyone's
>life -- in relative comfort...

Never fear, there's enough to go around, we'll each get a fragment of luxury yacht in our dinner bowls, seasoned with Rolex springs.

Maybe I'm being simplistic, but isn't the point that humanity's technological and organizational capacity to feed, clothe, house and care for each other is now much greater than capitalist organization of production can provide? And that the stifling of production over much of the world is the hallmark of capitalism now? Or, as Wadi'h Halabi put it at the recent URPE conference, 'capitalism is wasting 95% of humanity's time.'

Jenny Brown