Chechen slave trade (and query for all)

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 29 14:56:12 PDT 2002

>Something does not add up here. The guy was held by Chechens against his
>will, but that does not automatically means he was a slave. Slavery
>implies systematic economic exploitation of involuntary labor, whereas
>slave trade implies a significant number of people involved in the
>activity. These elements seem to be missing from the report.
>
>I think a much bigger issue is semi-slavery of many E.European (esp.
>Albanian) women who work as sex workers in W. Europe. There is clear
>exploitation and a relatively large scale, although the issue of
>involuntarism is a bit iffy. To my knowledge, this problem receives regular
>mention in the European press. I am wondering if there is any Chechen
>involvement in that kind of slave trade.
>
>wojtek

Most of the captives in Chechnya are used for forced labor on a small scale, doing work for whatever clan captured them.

I would guess there probably is Chechen involvement in sexual slavery, but only insofar as the Chechen mob is part of the same criminal net the extends across the FSU (a very prominent part of it, actually). Kidnapping by the clans is something different and, I think, less organized. These people aren't exported -- they're kept in Chechnya or, at the farthest, Dagestan.