war and the state

billbartlett at dodo.com.au billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Fri Aug 30 13:58:25 PDT 2002

At 2:16 PM -0400 29/8/02, JBrown72073 at cs.com wrote:

>Maybe I'm being simplistic, but isn't the point that humanity's technological
>and organizational capacity to feed, clothe, house and care for each other is
>now much greater than capitalist organization of production can provide? And
>that the stifling of production over much of the world is the hallmark of
>capitalism now? Or, as Wadi'h Halabi put it at the recent URPE conference,
>'capitalism is wasting 95% of humanity's time.'

You've put your finger on it. The problem with capitalism is that it is a system which stifles modern technology, preventing it from achieving its potential. Capitalism results in a constantly improving technology, but prevents this technology from being efficiently utilised to benefit humanity.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas