Michael Gorbachev at Earth Summit

JCWisc at aol.com JCWisc at aol.com
Thu Aug 29 21:43:45 PDT 2002

In a message dated 08/29/2002 10:53:05 PM Central Daylight Time, laflame at aaahawk.com writes:

> Didn't Bresinsky(sp?), the Carter guy, say that the US was supporting crazy
> violent fundementalists in attacking the Afghan left-leaning gov't so that
> the Soviets would be invited to help the Afghans. Or something like that.
> To bankrupt the system? Like they're doing to this country now?

I don't remember Brzezinski's exact words, but as I recall the US did indeed support the fanatical Islamic fundamentalist elements of the Afghan resistance after the invasion because they were, well, more fanatical. There was a "democratic" (read, liberal bourgeois) Afghan resistance, which was derisively dismissed by the US gov and neo-con commentators as a bunch of "Gucci guerrillas." The US is most responsible for reducing Afghanistan to its present condition. That country and its people would have been far better off had it become another Soviet republic.

btw, Brzezinski is the son of a pre-WWII Polish diplomat, with his own reasons for hating the Russians. For him, I think it was always more about the "Russians" than the "Soviets."

Jacob Conrad