The Nation: "dreary"

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Thu Aug 29 21:33:21 PDT 2002

R wrote:
> the nation is butt-dull -- with very few exceptions. to add insult to
> injury, it's moving further to the center as we speak, saying it's
> trying to "communicate" with more people when in reality it needs (or
> wants) the money.
>
> anyone for a delightful ocean cruise with the over 55 years old, stale
> "liberal" set? if this isn't your cup of tea, william f buckley holds
> cruise/fund raisers, too. so much charm in one place ....

Which hip hop acts play on the Nation cruise?

Oh, right.

I used to be a Nation subscriber, but dropped my subscription after they started pitching the cruise and the special credit card. Their purge of interesting op-ed writers didn't help either.

Other than the occasional interesting investigative article, I'd agree that the magazine is pretty dull. I guess that happens when your politics drift into the mainstream of the Democratic Party and your content is transparently aimed at the demographic most responsive to direct mail campaigns.

I read lots of interesting magazines that we get in for review for Alternative Press Review. However, I subscribe to one magazine: Clamor. If I want to read commentary and opinions not found on the web, I go out and buy a copy of MaximumRocknRoll or Punk Planet.

<< Chuck0 >>

Personal homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/index.html Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)