war and the state

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Fri Aug 30 04:58:02 PDT 2002

Dddddd0814 at aol.com:
> Good point, Wojtek. But, he doesn't blame Stalin. He blames Lenin and
> Trotsky!

To _blame_ Lenin and Trotsky would be to moralize; but I think Lenin's and Trotsky's morals would be of little practical concern to anyone. However, what I did was examine some of their ideas, ask whether the ideas seemed to result in behavior, and if so, what the behavior led to in history -- in the material and social conditions of the people who were affected by them.

I don't see anything necessarily beneficial in centralization. I notice that in history it has generally been necessary to impose political centralization of populations by direct military force and terror, so apparently the "beneficiaries" of it didn't see anything beneficial in it either. But in any case we're going to get quite a dose of it as Capital conquers and homogenizes the world, a project in which Stalin could be seen as a sort of crude pioneer.

-- Gordon