the secularization backlash continues

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Fri Aug 30 09:53:30 PDT 2002

Atheist Seeks End to Hill Chaplaincies Plaintiff Who Oppposed 'Under God' in Pledge of Allegiance Files New Suit

By Jim VandeHei Washington Post Staff Writer Friday, August 30, 2002; Page A05

The California atheist who sued to remove "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance now wants to kick the House and Senate chaplains out of Congress.

Michael A. Newdow, a lawyer and emergency room doctor, this week filed suit in federal district court in Washington contending that it is unconstitutional for taxpayer-funded chaplains to pray in Congress and minister to lawmakers. He wants the court to prohibit the House and Senate from employing spiritual chaplains, who are paid by Congress to lead prayers, counsel members and perform other religious tasks. Chaplains make as much as $147,000 per year.

"If congressmen want to go to church, [then] walk down the block like other Americans do and go to church,'' Newdow said in an interview yesterday. "Don't get my government engaged in it. There are some people who don't love God Almighty. That's why we have an Establishment Clause," the constitutional ban on government establishment of an official religion . http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A13530-2002Aug29.html