The Nation: "dreary"

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Fri Aug 30 14:16:31 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Chuck Munson wrote:
>
>> I used to be a Nation subscriber, but dropped my subscription after
>> they started pitching the cruise and the special credit card. Their
>> purge of interesting op-ed writers didn't help either.
>

> Purge? Of whom?
>
> The most unfortunate departure from The Nation was Andy Kopkind, who
> wasn't purged, but died. He had wit, style, and good politics, and is
> badly missed.

Sorry, my mistake. At some point in the early to mid 90s, several of the regular columnists were threatening to leave. Can't remember if this involved Pollitt, Cockburn, or Hitchens. I just remember being miffed enough to not renew my subscription (combined with the Nation cruise bullshit).

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)