The Nation: "dreary" (fwd)

JCWisc at aol.com JCWisc at aol.com
Fri Aug 30 20:41:18 PDT 2002

In a message dated 08/30/2002 12:02:37 PM Central Daylight Time, mpollak at panix.com writes:

> Oop, that squirted out unproofed and unsigned. Sorry.

No need to apologize. Excellent analysis of the Jason Vest piece. I saw the explosive implications of it right away, but then I follow this stuff more closely than most people do. The blurb on the front cover, "The Neocons Fight On," was slightly more to the point, but pretty vague and bland. In fact, I had a hard time connecting the cover blurb with the article inside. It took me a while to realize that "The Neocons Fight On" meant "The Men from JINSA and CSP."

About The Nation generally, I too have been reading it off and on for 20 years or so. I think it's always been a bit uneven with regard to the technical aspects of editing--what's called in the book publishing world "copy editing and line editing." I tend to cut them some slack for being a weekly on a tight budget. Maybe it's also a matter of de gustibus. All I can say is that I look forward to getting it and usually read it in one sitting the week it arrives. What tends to pile up unread at my place is The American Prospect, which is meant to be more with-it editorially and design-wise.

Jacob Conrad