Fw: The Nation: "dreary" (fwd)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Aug 31 16:02:30 PDT 2002

Marta Russell wrote:

> Can we at least admit that Znet is doing something for the world? I
> mean where else are leftists in Turkey going to be reading about
> disability oppression on a regular basis?

Marta condenses the point of my post. Periodicals _now_ have, for the most part, only the responsibility of expanding the knowledge & understanding (the tool kit as it were, or the ammunition in my original post) of readers who more or less have their minds made up in a leftist direction. They could be written with all the brilliance possible, and they would be more fun to use, but they wouldn't really be much more useful: reading them one takes it as his/her own responsibility, primarily, to get from them what one needs. (For entertainment, I would rather read the _Cantos_ or well-written crime fiction anyhow.)

But if the local movement should grow, if we were meeting new people on a more or less regular basis, _then_ I would be very anxious indeed to have a weekly paper/magazine that in addition to first-rate content had all the virtues of presentation which (according to much of this thread) left journals don't have now.

I have been intending for quite awhile to sign on to ZNet because much of the stuff I see fwd from them to one list or another is valuable stuff.*

Carrol

*P.S. The quality of what is forwarded (i.e., _selected_) from a periodical or website to lists is no indication of the overall quality of the source. I was pleased enough over time by many of the selections from _The Onion_ submitted to maillists that I finally subscribed to it. Boring as hell. That kind of parody is wonderful in measured doses, but utterly deadly piled up on page after page.