Target , number 88, and liberalism

p schultz uqbart at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 31 17:09:26 PDT 2002

This isn't a case of Target, um, targeting, the number 88 in general. Or of Target banning from its stores anything with the number 88. Target recalled shirts which incorporated the numbers 8 8 (written on the shirts in bold caps as EIGHT EIGHT) with other design elements (bloody skulls on the shirts) in ways that evoked current white supremacist imagery. I don't know if it's been ascertained if these clothes were intentionally designed to evoke white supremacist imagery or were merely designs the manufactuers/designers ripped off somewhere along the way believing it would appeal to a juvenile demographic. One can argue that the designs were harmless, but it's clear it's not a case of mere oversensitivity to the number 88.

Paul Schultz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Saturday, August 31, 2002 4:50 PM Subject: Re:Target , number 88, and liberalism