Once a Close Economic Rival of China, India Falls Behind

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Sun Dec 1 02:55:06 PST 2002

Alexandre Fenelon wrote:

> -You´re right. WB statistics give a Ginni index of 32 to India (a fairly
> -good result) and 40 to China. Before the reforms, China had a Ginni index
> -of 15. When you compare other social indexes (life expectancies,
illiteracy
> -infant mortality), the differences between China and India already
existed
> -before 1978 and Chine didn´t have a better performance since then...it
> seems
> -capitalist reforms were good to improve economic performance, but
mediocre
> -while we consider HDI related indexes.

Brazil seems to have done better than both, China and India. What is Gini for Brazil?

> -To some extent it explains the better Chinese economic performance after
> -1976. But according to Maddison China also had a better economic
> performance
> -from 1949 to 1976 (2,9% vs. 1,5% growth in per capita GDP) despite they
> -didn´t pursue one child policy.

China always had higher growth rates than India. This is usually explained by China's higher rate savings and investment as a proportion of GDP. On the other hand, India has a robust tradition of civil liberties, not found in China.

Ulhas