Frida (was Re: marx's revenge for our times?

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Sun Dec 1 15:48:44 PST 2002

Dr. Phil:
>I made my own major discovery about a core feature of "bourgeois"
>culture several years before I found myself involved in radical
>politics. I was writing a doctoral dissertaion on critical treatment of
>Alexander Pope in the early 20th century, and I was reading all these
>half-pint critics who, repeating cliches about Pope over a century old
>were still somehow presenting themselves as contrarian. Read through the
>archives on this list and see how often the poster will repeat some
>really banal (and quite popular) opinion and pass it off as being a
>minority and independent position. (Most statements about "The Left"
>fall into this category.)

Frida wasn't a bad film. Hayek did a good job. The Left is a large category when it can cover everything from the passionate, imaginative Kahlo to our dour present-day sects (WWP & RCP). At the end of the film she had photos of Stalin and Mao above her headboard and another photo of Mao in her room.

Geoffrey Rush's Trotsky gives an eloquent description of Stalin at one point.

Peter