Samir Amin on Islam

Reed Tryte dttdhmtp at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 1 22:20:46 PST 2002

Brad DeLong wrote:

>>As for Israel and the Middle East, here's what
>>Hitchens - whom Yoshie compares to
>>Thomas Friedman - recently had to say:
>>
>>"I hate and despise Hezbollah and Palestinian
suicide-murderers, as
>>they ought to be called, but
>>they'd have to work day and night for years to equal
the total of
>>civilians killed in Lebanon alone,
>>or by Sharon alone. Lebanese and Palestinian
irregulars are, by the
>>way, entitled by international
>>law to resist foreign occupation that has been
internationally
>>condemned. Fact..."
>
>By killing nurses? If one is going to talk about
international law,
>one should also talk about jus in bello...

Brad, are you talking about Bonnie Penner? If so, is there some indication that she was killed by Hezbollah?

In any case, I don't understand the point you're making. Do you mean that the killing of Bonnie Penner was an equivalent violation of international law to Israel's occupation of Lebanon and killing of 20,000 civilians? Would you have said the same thing if a nurse from Iraq's closest ally had been killed in Kuwait during the Iraqi occupation? "If one is going to talk about international law regarding the Iraqi invasion, one should also talk about jus in bello..."