BG on BO'R

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Dec 2 15:47:40 PST 2002

Marta:

> But also Moore points to the media as instilling an irrational fear
> in Americans. Alarmist and focused on violence TV news makes
> Americans believe something which is not so -- that they may at any
> moment be the victim of a violent crime. He shows that Canadian news
> focuses on national issues and ideas, not sensationalized stories.
> Then he says crime is down in the US.
> He is saying the fear mongers are causing the problems not some
> inherent trait in Americans, isn't he?
> Marta

But I do not agree with that interpretation, based on Moore's own logic. He compares gun ownership in US and Canada, finds it high in both countries, and exclude4s it as a possible cause of difference in homicide numbers in these countries (he never presented rates, which is a serious flaw in the logic of his argument though). By the same virtue, people in other countries watch a lots of violence, and fear-instilling junk, yet they are not as scared as the US-ers. However, if we account for the fact that all media contents I filtered through community in most countries (i.e. people discuss what they seee and collectively "decide" what is believable and what is not), but in the US that discourse is limited due to to the solitary nature of TV viewing - the impact of the medium is more diect and greater. In the same vein, people who feel lonely and more isolated also get scared more easily. In both cases, it is not TV viewing itself but the social pattern of TV viewing and social structure of the community that makes the difference.

Wojtek