How Hate Media Incited the Coup: Venezuela's Press Power

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Tue Dec 3 12:44:24 PST 2002

On Tuesday, December 3, 2002, at 01:46 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> At 1:15 PM -0600 12/3/02, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:
>> if you're going to (mis)characterize my concern about left media
>> ghettoization re: pacifica as "contempt,"
>
> Isn't the word ghetto an expression of contempt or self-contempt,
> referring to a place not fit for human habitation?

this is a wonderful example of a red herring. focusing on this term in this way is simply beside the point.

<snipping mcchesney for another time when i have time to continue this . . .>

> At 1:15 PM -0600 12/3/02, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:
>> so far, your argument is primarily that venezuela has more powerful
>> left-wingers than the us and they don't own the media, ergo it can't
>> be done here.
>
> You haven't proposed anything practical that rank-and-file organizers
> and activists like myself can do in the USA, though. Most of us are
> not and will not be mass media workers like Rod Sterling.

first, that's not an argument for the relevance of argentina as an example, which is the context you conveniently removed and ignored.

second, not everyone's as talented or as lucky (in his own way) as serling. i'm surprised, though, that you didn't come right out and call this a symptom of my contempt for rank and file activists and organizers.

as for your question, sorry, i haven't worked out all the details of the revolution, yet, so i guess i'll just shut up.