How Hate Media Incited the Coup: Venezuela's Press Power

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Tue Dec 3 13:38:29 PST 2002

> Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>> You repeatedly mentioned "Stanley's stained shirt" -- it must have
>> annoyed the hell out of you, if it was so memorable.
>
> It's stupid to campaign for public office while looking like a slob.
> Anyone with a rudimentary sense of audience would know that.
>
> Doug

Since I was there too, I'll add: the stained shirt was egregious. But it's also important to add that the man was wearing SHORTS. Which I thought was even more appalling, given that it was a nighttime, indoor event. Both (stain and shorts) suggested to me either that he had no sense of how to be a candidate, or -- much worse -- that he was expecting a crowd exclusively composed of folks who wouldn't mind him wearing a stained shirt and shorts. The latter possibility was of course, even more depressing, since that's an *awfully* small choir to preach to. One that didn't even include us, and emphatically didn't include the people we brought with us -- if they'd been American citizens, his slovenly appearance probably would have cost him their votes. It just spelled out "Don't take me seriously, I'm only pretending to run for governor."

Liza