How Hate Media Incited the Coup: Venezuela's Press Power

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Dec 3 15:19:49 PST 2002

At 2:44 PM -0500 12/3/02, Michael Pollak wrote:
> >What makes you think that we can succeed in "owning" commercial TV
>>communication when left-wing Venezuelans can't?
>
>Wasn't Chavez in the habit of giving 5 hour speeches on TV every week for
>the first couple of years? That certainly sounds like owning a part of
>the media.
>
>Michael

There is one political leader who is known to be given to five-hour speeches and yet has outlived eight US presidents while surviving many assassination attempts. In his case, though, he and his party literally own much of the domestic media with little competition. ;-> That said, for average public speakers, holding the audience attention for five minutes would be one hell of a job.

At 2:39 PM -0500 12/3/02, Doug Henwood wrote:
>>Why is the Venezuelan experience irrelevant? Left-wingers in
>>Venezuela -- with the president himself a left-wing populist -- are
>>larger, more militant, and far better organized than in the USA.
>>What makes you think that we can succeed in "owning" commercial TV
>>communication when left-wing Venezuelans can't?
>
>So what's your vision? The U.S. left is very very weak. How to make
>it even as strong as the Venezuelan left?

Actually, I don't know how Chavez and his comrades built mass support. Does anyone here? Maybe we can learn something. -- Yoshie