weird Hitchens comments on Israel

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Tue Dec 3 16:13:04 PST 2002

Bryan:

>Peter K: "I doubt he would say Arafat is the main thing. Bush was the first
>US President to say "Palestinian state.""
>
>Calling for a 'Palestinian State' is the present rhetoric of legitimacy in
>Middle Eastern foreign policy. Just the same as all existing and coming
>gov. regimes (even from a coup d'etat) need to legitimate themselves with
>the rhetoric of 'democracy'.
>
>The important factor to look at isn't whether Bush said 'Palestinian State',
>it is to look at what he means by 'Palestinian State'.
>
>And from his other statements, his more or less carte blanche backing of the
>Sharon gov, and the actions of his administration, it seems to me that
>'Palestinian State' means semi-Palestinian autonomy in a three-room,
>fourth-floor apartment in Gaza City.
>
>Bryan

Fair enough, but it's worthwhile to remember that in '92 Clinton ran to the right of Bush pere on the issues of Israel and Cuba. And Gore set up those infamous "midnight courts" for the Palestinian Authority which were not exactly democratic institutions. What are your thoughts on the impending fall of Saddam Hussein?

Peter