power

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Dec 3 19:53:45 PST 2002

When we (i.e., most marxists, plus many anarchists, radical democrats, probably some other categories) -- when we speak of X being a "social relation" we are _NOT_ ordinarily speaking of direct personal relations (e.g., between lovers). Value is a social relation. Property is a social relation. Actually, I think it goes against the grain of this core use of "social relation" to call power a social relation. Power is rather a certain kind of attribute of various social relations, not a social relation in itself. (Cf. "green" is not an entity in itself but an attribute of various physical objects.) This isn't quite right, but I think something like it is needed to clear up a certain fogginess in the current discussion of power on this list. Marriage is a social relationship not because two people relate to each other but because of the social relations which chracterize a whole society, an aspect of which is establishing a distinction between socially recognized and unrecognized relations. If you want your lover to inherit your property, you have to be married. If you want to file a joint tax return, you have to be married. Etc. Etc. (It is _not_ true that if you want to be respectable you have to be married: respect is not a general social relation but an attribute of specific situations.)

In general, "social relation" is a useful concept for social analysis only if the personal ideas, actions, emotions, etc. of concrete persons are abstracted from -- ignored.

Carrol