Know your enemy...

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Wed Dec 4 09:12:37 PST 2002

Chuck Grimes wrote:
> > ... But good god Carrol where are your standards? ....

Michael Perelman:
> I don't see much high powered except for the PR dimension. It seems like
> they focus on a single objective, hammer on it without any real criticism
> from outside, get the press to jump on, win a few Dems. and then move on
> to the next item.
>
> I recall how Reagan did the same thing. They could accomplish any single
> objective they wanted, but they could not walk and chew bubble gum at the
> same time. Whenever things got complex, they had problems.
>
> The PR work is, however, outstanding.
>
> Clinton set out to persuade, suggesting two sides to the issue. The
> Repugs never do that. The come on as if there are two sides, but they are
> good and evil.

Maybe it doesn't make any difference. I've observed that very large corporate organisms, e.g. IBM, General Motors or Merrill Lynch, seem to succeed for a long time merely because of their size. Foolish decisions, bureaucratic paralysis, and randomized policy make no difference. The tarball accretes, and wends its downhill way with ever- increasing and finally irresistable momentum, to where the abyss awaits.