Union Bosses and Radical Workers

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 4 13:31:50 PST 2002

The AP writes

> A former union boss, Silva was the landslide winner
> of Brazil's
> presidential election in October.

Ever notice how union leaders are "bosses" but corporate leaders are "executives" or "officers"? Corporations don't have bosses.

On a cheerier note, a secretary around here (no kid, either--what do the kids know?) heard me explaining to a fellow associate that I was going to give a talk on pragamtism and Marxism ata the Am Phil. Assn, buttonholed me, and asked me, didn't I think it was silly to suppose Marxism had been refuted by the fall of the USSR, as if the collapse of a tyranny could tell you anything about the hope for a society run by working people. I told her I agreed. So, even here, in the belly of the beast, or on its navel, anyway. . . .

I gotta get back to beastliness, sorry.

jks