Here We Go Again: Nathan Newman's Obsession With The Democrats

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Dec 4 14:50:05 PST 2002

Anthony:
> Democratic does not make them progressive....in fact, some
> Black Democrats are quite conservative, even reactionary. (I
> could give you examples from my own family.) I guess that I,

Good point. I made a similar observation in Baltimore where the corrupt Democratic political machine got a lot of support from conservative Black churches - and during the last mayoral election O'Malley ( a white law-and-order candidate who also promised to stop privatization of city services) got more Black votes than his two Black opponents combined. To avoid any misunderstanding, crime affects Black urban communities disproportionally more than white burbs - and thus is a big concern among Blacks here - so voting law and order is NOT an expression of conservatism.

Another case: the corrupt Clarence Mitchell Jr. who fell in disfavor with Annapolis Democratic political machine and switched sides to support the reactionary Ehrlich in the last gubernatorial election.

The point is that the Black "community" is much more diverse, economically and politically, than many Democrats - who tend to take the Black vote for granted - want to admit.

Wojtek