power

DoreneFC at aol.com DoreneFC at aol.com
Wed Dec 4 14:48:21 PST 2002

In a message dated 12/4/02 2:31:14 PM Pacific Standard Time, seamus2001 at attbi.com writes:

> This seems like projection to me. A baby crying for milk has no command
> capabilities. It is we [some of us anyway] who choose to see it as a
> command. Of course one can easily slip to a legalistic/sociologistic frame
> and say the baby's crying is a command backed by the sanction of the state
> that it not be denied being fed and hence we have laws to prevent
> infanticide and the like, but isn't the whole point the fact that the
> overwhelming number of parents want to feed and love and cherish their
> baby, despite when they have bad hair days?
>
> Ian

I suspect response to a baby crying is hard-wired. I have seen research results that show parents are usually highly reactive to their own kids cries, more highly reactive than random outsiders.

I do not feel like getting all sociobiological about the point,a nd I am not paying enough attention to fully fit this into the discussion, but babies cry for lots of reasons. I assume the ones who make their parents / caregivers respond better to their needs probably survive better. People who do not get how this is power MIGHT learn by spending more time around crying babies.

DoreneC -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20021204/9e5433d1/attachment.htm>