weird Hitchens comments on Israel

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Wed Dec 4 19:36:55 PST 2002

http://www.google.com/search?q=Gulf+War++intifada+saddam http://www.passia.org/publications/annual_seminar_reports/pagwa1991/fifth.html
>...The PLO During the Gulf Crisis

>From the very first day of Iraq's occupation of Kuwait, the PLO embarked on the road of mediation :
"Since the outbreak of the crisis between Iraq and Kuwait in the Gulf region, the Palestinian leadership has been seeking to nip it in the bud ... The Palestinian leadership sought to contain and resolve this crisis through fraternal dialogue ... embarked on efforts with Arab leaders to find an urgent solution within the Arab framework and avert the danger of foreign intervention".1 <snip, focused on state actors, will lokk for more on the non-state actors...> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&q=+Unified+Leadership+of+the+Intifada+Gulf+War http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&q=+Unified+Leadership+of+the+Intifadah+Gulf+War

Aburish has had pieces on the Z website, so I assume he passes the left smell test. http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/gulf.war/unfinished/war/index4.html ' To him, survival means victory," says Said K. Aburish, author of "Saddam Hussein: The Politics of Revenge." ome believe the Iraqi people -- not the government -- are suffering most under the sanctions. "If we judge him by the yardstick he has assigned for himself, then he has indeed won the Gulf War," says Aburish. "... The kids in the West Bank and Gaza, when they rose in the most recent intifada against Israel, they were cheering Saddam Hussein. So were the people in Amman. So were the people in Damascus."

A right-wing Zionist website http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/History/Gulf_War.html (there are embedded URL links so I'd click that if you want to rip it apart for their assertions about PLO, Libyan, Iraqi, etc. evidence.), so handle with skepticism. Dispute, the facts or interpretrations? By all means!

The PLO Backs Saddam

The PLO, Libya and Iraq were the only members who opposed an Arab League resolution calling for an Iraqi withdrawal from Kuwait. The intifada leadership sent a cable of congratulations to Saddam Hussein, describing the invasion of Kuwait as the first step toward the "liberation of Palestine" (Mideast Mirror, August 6, 1990).

PLO leader Yasir Arafat played a critical role in sabotaging an Arab summit meeting that was to have been convened in Saudi Arabia to deal with the invasion. Arafat, the New York Times observed (August 5, 1990), "diverted attention from the planned summit and helped capsize it" by showing up in Egypt with a "peace plan" devised by Libyan dictator Muammar Qaddafi.

According to an eyewitness account by Al-Ahram editor Ibrahim Nafei, Arafat worked hard to "water down" any anti-Iraq resolution at the August 1990 Arab League meeting in Cairo. Arafat "moved from delegation to delegation, hand in hand with Tariq Aziz, the Iraqi Foreign Minister, who was openly threatening some Gulf and other Arab delegates that Iraq would turn them upside down," Nafei wrote (Al-Ahram, August 12, 1990).

In Amman, Jordan, a PLO official warned that Palestinian fighters had arrived in Yemen. "We expect them to take suicidal operations against the American troops in Saudi Arabia if the Americans move against Iraq," he declared. "There are more than 50,000 Palestinian fighters" in both Kuwait and Iraq, he said, who "will defend the interests of Iraq" (UPI, August 10, 1990). Abul Abbas, a member of the PLO Executive Committee, threatened that "any American target will become vulnerable" should the United States attack Iraq (Reuters, September 4, 1990).

In Jenin, August 12, 1,000 Palestinians marched, shouting: "Saddam, you hero, attack Israel with chemical weapons" (Associated Press, August 12, 1990).

According to some sources, the PLO played an active role in facilitating Iraq's conquest of Kuwait. The logistical planning for the Iraqi invasion was at least partially based on intelligence supplied by PLO officials and supporters based in Kuwait. One Arab diplomat was quoted in the London Independent as saying that on arrival in Kuwait, Iraqi officials "went straight to their homes, picked them up and ordered them to go to work." The Iraqi Embassy had compiled its own list of key Kuwaiti personnel, said the diplomat, "but who helped them? Who were the skilled technicians who worked alongside the Kuwaitis and knew all this information?" he asked. "The Palestinians" (Jerusalem Post, August 8, 1990).

When the U.S. began massing troops in Saudi Arabia, Arafat called this a "new crusade" that "forebodes the gravest dangers and disasters for our Arab and Islamic nation." He also made clear his position on the conflict: "We can only be in the trench hostile to Zionism and its imperialist allies who are today mobilizing their tanks, planes, and all their advanced and sophisticated war machine against our Arab nation" (Sawt al- Sha'b, September 4, 1990).

Once the war began, the PLO Executive Committee reaffirmed its support for Iraq: "The Palestinian people stand firmly by Iraq's side." The following day, Arafat sent a message to Saddam hailing Iraq's struggle against "American dictatorship" and describing Iraq as "the defender of the Arab nation, of Muslims and of free men everywhere" (Agence France-Presse, February 26, 1991).

Arafat's enthusiasm for Hussein was undaunted by the outcome of the war. "I would like to take this opportunity to renew to your excellency the great pride that we take in the ties of fraternity and common destiny binding us," he said in November 1991. "Let us work together until we achieve victory and regain liberated Jerusalem" (Baghdad Republic of Iraq Radio Network, November 16, 1991).

Michael Pugliese, Running Dog Of Zionism, Woof, Woof!