weird Hitchens comments on Israel

Anthony Kennerson maroondog244 at lycos.com
Wed Dec 4 18:48:55 PST 2002

--

On Wed, 04 Dec 2002 16:07:04

Michael Pugliese wrote:
>I guess Michael will tell us later that there really is a Saddam/Al Qaida connection after all....
>
>Anthony
>
> Heh, I'm sorry, I'm ROTFLMAO! Channelling a book blurbed by Richard Perle, "Study of Revenge: Saddam
>Hussein's
>Unfinished War Against America, " by Laurie Mylroie, who had a bestseller co-written w/Judith Miller in Gulf
>War I, "I have here in my hands a list of 205 terrorists..." (My allusion for those under 30, to Joe McCarthy
>speech in West Virginia launching his crusade.) NO< I think, Myrloie, Perle, Wolfowitz, and the militarists
>here http://www.centerforsecuritypolicy.org/index.jsp?section=today
>at CSP are nuts and have not a scintilla of evidence of operational or any other links between Al-Quaeda and
>the Ba'athist regime. I've been reading a bit on terrorism, from left (Richard Falk) to Right (Walter Laqueur),
>and no one except far right ideologues and Bush admin. loons says so.

Glad to see that you're not one of the loonies. :-)

>Anthony>...How on earth would any decent human being celebrate or even promote the chemical bombing of Israel,
>knowing fully well that that would give Israel the needed excuse to nuke Iraq -- and the Palestinians as well
>-- from the face of the earth??? Especially considering that the main result of the Palestinian leadership's
>overtures toward Saddam was that their people were exiled from Kuwait after the first Gulf War and persecuted
>immensively???
>
>And exactly WHICH Palestinians were congratulating Saddam?? Islamic Jihad?? Hamas??? Hizbullah??? Those who
>were suffering tremendously in the Occupied Territories??? I know of NO non- fundamentalist Palestinian
>organization or individual who even hinted at supporting Saddam or the invasion of Kuwait; if you know of
>one, Michael, please tell us.
>
> The oppressed, are hardly ever angels. Only liberals expect those resisting intolerable conditions to turn
>the other cheek. I don't expect, any sector of the Palestinian resistance, secular or Islamist, to be immune in
>the least, to what conditions of war and poverty, always creates. Which is a dehumanization of the Enemy. If
>you think the CNN footage of celebrating Palestinians in '91 and 9/11, are a hoax...well, I dunno how to prove
>it except one of trademarkeed URL pastiches, which will come later. (After, I posted the post you are replying
>to I thought. Will, someone disbelieve my contention? I was going to check some books at the SFPL, like Karsh
>and Freedman on the Gulf War, anything I could find by, say, Dilip Hiro, to balance what Karsh sez since he is
>a neo-con anatagonist of Benny Levy and Avi Shlaim. Guess, I'll have to tomorrow morning.

I didn't say that the CNN footage of those Palestinians cheering Saddam and praising 9/11 was a hoax; I simply challenged the view that they represented all Palestinians. After all, there are those leaders whom have openly and fircely denounced such tactics; and that those who were the most active in praising Saddam were more likely to be in the more extreme camp of fundamentalists. As for Arafat and the PLO supporting Saddam; that's just one more mark for his senility and his failure of leadership, as well as their lack of real vision and foresight.

> URL's later though.
> This, btw, is a vwery good leftist media critique, "Secret State, Silent Press: New Militarism, the Gulf and
>the modern image of warfare, " by Richard Keeble, 1997.
>Michael Pugliese

Looking forward to reading it at my local leftist bookstore.....if I can find any in South Louisiana. :-)

Anthony

_____________________________________________________________ Get 25MB, POP3, Spam Filtering with LYCOS MAIL PLUS for $19.95/year. http://login.mail.lycos.com/brandPage.shtml?pageId=plus&ref=lmtplus