power

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Dec 5 06:43:56 PST 2002

Anthony:
> It is no more inconsistent with love than more vanilla
> (meaning conventional) forms of sex are. Power in sex play
> is not necessarily a function of power in the outer world;
> people in B/D play are capable of respect and equality
> outside the bedroom. It's simply another form of consensual
> sexual variation.

Voluntary submission to power in the "outer" world is quite ubiquitous cf. corporate hierarchies. It was particularly popular among fascists (cf. Hitler's "responsibiluty toward above, authority towards below"). Despite its unmistakable mysogynistic tenor, many women willingly accepted fascist and their "prone" position (using Mr. X's phrase) in it (cf. Claudia Koonz, _Mothers in the Fatherland_).

The point is that asymmtery is the norm in human relations. Everyone has a capacity that at a particular moment others do not, and that gives them "power" over others. I learned that in Eastern Europe, where even the lowliest worker (such as the bathroom attendant) had the capacity to refuse service (e.g. by denying a customer his alottment of toilet paper) and used that capacity quite liberally.

We all have power, albeit some of us are in the state of "mental slavery" (to use Mr. Marley's phrase) and think they do not. But ass soon as they (i) liberate themselves from that state and (ii) learn how to disregard any feedback coming from their actions (i.e. are not afraid of dying), their power becomes abominable - as demonstrated by 9/11 and suicide bombers. That we all have power is one key point pretty much missed in the left-of-the center discourse. Another key point that is missing from it is the _judicious_ use of power. Instead of accepting the fact that everyone has "power" (i.e. the capacity to coerce others) and calling for a judicious use of that capacity - the lefties call for abolishing all power altogether. That is an impossible proposition - they might be calling for abolishing life as well.

Volumes have been written on what is _judicious_. My own preference comes close to Aristotle (the Nicomahean Ethics and also Politics) who called for moderation - and to my limited understanding this is not that much different from the philosophy underlying the Far Eastern martial arts. To illustrate that with a simple example: when I shoot a deer because that is the only way to get food for me and my family - that is a judicious use of power. On the other hand, if I shoot a deer for pleasure, to feel good about myself, or to improve my image among my peers - that is abuse of power.

Methinks that most US-ers are incapable of moderation or judicious use of anything. They love to show off by putting down others, and they love to submit to higher power. They embody the Hitler's ideal of "responsibility towards below, authority towards above." That explains the sickening US religiosity, the popular hatred of President Clinton, and the popularity of Bush. Unlike Bush, who skillfully projects the image of a mean autocrat, Clinton (like Carter) appeared emasculated. The image of Hillary "running the show" was and integral part of it. This is why most Amerikuns had problems to submit to such an authority and hated Clinton for not playing the role of a father-like autocrat that commands submission.

Wojtek