Carlos Ortega, CTV/AD Venezuela

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu Dec 5 11:40:01 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: SergioL652 at aol.com -US-allied elites in Venezuela should not be seeking to oust democratically -elected Presidents like Chavez, but the left should not be advocating -ousting democratically-elected union leaders either. -When did the left lose all moral credibility in favor of pure opportunism? -- Nathan Newman

>So supporting the coup against Chávez (then backing out when they so it would fail) is an appropriate >response?

Um, no, how about reading what I said above, that it is inappropriate. The question is whether the US Left should be cheerleading authoritarianism and union busting as a response.

I was quite happy that Chavez survived the coup, despite my disagreements with some of his actions, just as honestly, I am glad that Chavez was not able to undemocratically take over the unions. I hope over time, more progressive forces within the union, independent of direct Chavez control, take over the CTV, but that would never have a chance to happen if Chavez reduced the unions to mere adjuncts of the state as has happened in too many authoritarian "left" countries.

-- Nathan Newman -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20021205/c9e5c471/attachment.htm>